UPDATE: It seems Barclays has now officially raised the minimum spend required to get the bonus from $1,000 to $3,000. That’s a substantial increase, so I would recommend to anyone interested that they instead go ahead and apply for the no annual fee version of the card, which is still only $1,000 in spending for 20,000 bonus points, and do it now before they increase it too!
Notice I say fun money. That wasn’t just to make the headline sound less like an attempted SEO win and more like human speech. (Barclays Travel Credit Cards. There, now the key phrase is in the first graph.) No, it’s because most of the cards offer rewards which you can only technically redeem for travel expenses.
But travel is fun! It means hotels, flights, taxi rides, trains … a lot more stuff than you might initially think. Stuff you do, because you’re a fun person. And I mean that.
But if you’re still sitting there saying “I don’t travel” and “Get off my lawn,” then click the link above that reads “technically” (or this one here with the juicy anchor text: Barclaycard Arrival Cash Back Trick).
The reason it’s free money is because the Arrival Plus card, for instance, gives you 2 points (in most cases roughly equal to one cent, hence the term “point,” as in percentage point) for all purchases, whereas most cards give 1 for everything and 2 or 3 for, say, purchases at restaurants and hotels. That makes this one of the best earning cards out there – points, miles or cash back (think Samuel L. Jackson in the Capital One Quicksilver commercial shoving 1.5% in your face like an asshole).
Add that to some very solid sign-up bonus (most in the neighborhood of $400) and you can start packing away a nice stash of fun money for that next trip to Branson.
Check out the links below to see full offer terms and to apply for the card that suits you!
Our All-Time Favorites:
- Earn 2X miles on travel and dining purchases with no caps
- Earn 1X miles on all other purchases
- Earn 20,000 bonus miles when you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first
90 days (that equates to $200 off your next travel redemption)
- Enjoy a 0% introductory APR on purchases for the first 12 months after account opening – after that, a variable APR, currently 14.99% or 18.99%,based on your creditworthiness
- Book any airline, anytime with no blackout dates or seat restrictions
- Redeem for all types of travel rewards Choose to redeem for all or a portion of your travel purchases, starting at just 2,500 miles
- Get 10% miles back when you redeem for travel
- (i.e. redeem 25,000 miles for travel and get 2,500 miles back)
- No foreign transaction fees
- Complimentary TripIt© Pro mobile travel organizer subscription for one year ($49 value)
- 20,000 award miles with first purchase3
- Earn up to
15,000 award miles with a balance transfer within 30 days of account opening3
- 2 award miles per $1 spent on ticket purchases directly from Miles & More integrated airline partners3
- 1 award mile per $1 on all other purchase
- Redeem miles for flight awards and upgrades on Lufthansa, Austrian Airlines, Brussels Airlines, SWISS, Star Alliance airlines and other partners
- Complimentary Companion Ticket after first purchase, then every year after4
- $79 Annual Fee
- 5,000 Bonus Points after your first purchase and an additional 5,000 Points after spending $1,000 on qualifying transactions in the first 90 days of account opening (Enough for a $100 statement credit!)
- Earn 5X points on priceline.com purchases.
- Get 1 point per $1 spent on everything else with no caps.
- Redeem points for statement credits against purchases made on your account.
- 2 “FunPoints®” per $1 spent on all Carnival Cruise Lines purchases including onboard purchases charged to Sail & Sign
- 1 “FunPoints®” per $1 spent everywhere else
- Redeem “FunPoints®” for cruises on CarnivalTM and the other World Leading Cruise LInes
- No Annual Fee
- Earn 8,000 points after first purchase
- Earn an additional 24,000 points after using your card to book a hotel stay
- 15 points per eligible $1 spent at over 4,200 Choice Privileges locations
- 5 points per eligible $1 on additional Choice Privileges points or Choice Hotels gift card purchases
- 2 points per eligible $1 spent on everyday purchases
- Cardmembers will get Automatic Elite Gold Status, which offers the following:
- Ability to book free nights 50 days in advance instead of 30 days
- Every time you earn points for eligible stays, Choice Privileges gives you a 10% point bonus
- Limited Time Bonus — Earn 5,000 points after your first purchase
- Plus, earn an additional 5,000 bonus points after spending $1,000 on qualifying transactions in the first 90 days of account opening
- Points can be redeemed for statement credits towards Travelocity purchases for Flights, eligible Hotels, and Vacation Packages, with no blackout dates, and you have 90 days after your Travelocity Purchase post to redeem your points for a statement credit4
- Points can now also be redeemed for gift cards and merchandise.
- Earn 12,000 bonus points with first purchase – Enough for up to 2 free nights
- Earn 3 points per $1 spent on every participating hotel stay
- Earn 2 points per $1 spent everywhere else
- No Annual Fee
More From Around the Web: